How Imago Therapy Works
“Nature has revealed the secret: love heals wounds and makes the love whole”
Harville Hendrix, Keeping the Love you found
Imago relationship therapy is a clinical training therapy used to assist couples unveil their unconscious traits and components (imago) that determines their choice for a mate.
Imago Relationship Therapy emphasizes on the uses three basic steps by couples to help them communicate with each other effectively and to foster the healing of painful experiences both in the past and presently and to consequently induce growth in their relationships.
The steps are :
1. Mirroring: In this step, couples are taught how to listen and mirror back exactly what they hear rather than an interpretation or reaction to what they’ve heard.
2. Validating: After the first step whereby couples have spoken and listened to each other, they are taught to validate each other without necessarily agreeing to what they heard.
3. Empathizing: In this step, partners have listened and agreed to each other hence they are better placed and should identify with each other‘s express thoughts and feelings.
This therapy is used to bring reconciliation in troubled relationships and broken marriages by taking a different approach to normal conflict solving. In the therapy such couples are taught on the information and tools which when correctly applied will turn the state of their shaky relationships or fractured marriages.
The most important tools used to foster reconciliation and bring wholeness and joyfulness to marriages or relationships are a form of healing and intentional dialogue and the other is using the dialogue process (imago dialogue) to help the couple make successful changes in their behavior which at the end lead to healing, growth and most importantly a deeper connection between them.
The other tools teach them various conflict resolution techniques such as :
- Helping partners realize their unconscious components and aspects of their relationship and making them conscious.
- Couples are taught how to address conflicts from the root causes which mainly will stem down to the primary upbringing of the partners and how their primary caretakers handled their specific need.
- Couples are taught how to understand the unconscious need of the other and this helps them create emotional safety for each other.
- Partners are also taught how to take care of the need of each other.
- Couples are taught how to be successful in healing and growth from their painful childhood experiences and thus elevate their love to true and real love.
- Through imago therapy, partners benefit from the knowledge of how to handle conflicts in their relationship or marriage and turn it into deeper intimacy and connection.
- Partners also learn how to become a source of wholeness and joyfulness to each other instead of pain and frustrations.
- Partners learn how to make small changes which result into major differences in terms of happiness and wholeness as individuals and as a couple.
- And finally couples learn how to make their marriage or relationship fulfilling, whole, alive, and passionate.